Benefits of Good Hygiene
Good hygiene is an important part of life. Hygiene means keeping clean and practicing habits that keep a person healthy. There are several reasons why good hygiene should be observed:
- Helps prevent people from catching and spreading disease – If we do not take care of ourselves, then we are likely to feel sick and even visit the hospital or doctor. A person may not be able to do activities that he or she enjoys. Apart from feeling unwell, other people may not want to interact with a sick person for fear of falling sick themselves. Remember, we only get one body and it is our responsibility to take care of it.
- To feel good about ourselves – In today’s society a good appearance is very important. It is not about wearing expensive clothing but looking clean, tidy and healthy. We must also look after the inside of our bodies because feeling good is just as essential as looking good.
- To be considerate of others – Most of the time, it is easy to tell when a person does not have good hygiene habits. Bad body odour, bad breath and smelly feet are just a few things that affect the other persons that he or she interacts with. Not only does it show that you do not care about yourself, it also shows that you do not care about other people around you.
Good Hygiene Habits
- Dental hygiene is made up of brushing your teeth with toothpaste at least two times each day, flossing your teeth often, trying not to eat too many sweets that will rot your teeth and seeing your dentist for regular check-ups.
- Getting a good night’s sleep will ensure that you have energy the following day and you look and feel great as your body has rested.
- Eating a healthy breakfast is essential. Do not skip breakfast because it gives you the energy you need to make it through to lunch
- Wash your hands with soap and water before you eat and after using the toilet to avoid spreading germs.
- Take a bath daily to keep the dirt and odours away. Taking a bath or shower means washing your body with soap and water. How often you take a bath or shower will depend on your daily activities but you must bathe daily.
- Washing your hair with shampoo and conditioner is necessary since sweat and oil can build up and encourage bacteria in your hair and scalp that causes itching and even a bad smell.
- Get plenty of exercise by walking, playing, riding your bike. You have to exercise your brain by reading and doing your school work as well.
- Eating healthy foods that are part of a balanced diet keeps your body fit inside and outside.
- Trim fingernails and toenails regularly to prevent dirt and germs from getting under them.