What is abortion?
Abortion means choosing to end a pregnancy before term. This means that you don’t have the baby if you were pregnant. Everyone is entitled to their own views on abortion.
Causes of Abortion
The following are reasons why people may have an abortion:
- Fear of the financial difficulty that is involved in raising the child. If a female is financially unstable, unemployed or still at school, she would be unable to afford taking care of a child.
- The fear of what other people like friends, neighbours and family or especially parents might think or say about you if you are pregnant. This fear is especially great if you are still at school or unmarried.
- A dislike of pain and discomfort, thinking of the pain involved during labour can result in someone choosing to have an abortion.
- Health problems that affect a woman, having a baby can sometimes affect a woman’s mental and physical health more than having an abortion.
- If a female is a victim of rape and becomes pregnant as a result of that rape, she may choose to have an abortion since rape has a serious psychological effect on a female as the child may be seen as a reminder of the dreadful incident.
Effects of Abortion
- There are severe psychological effects on a female who has had an abortion. Some may experience severe distress and may need love and support of family and friends.
- Physically a female can experience the following effects after having an abortion: sterility, miscarriages, ectopic pregnancies, stillbirths, menstrual disturbances, bleeding, infections, shock, coma, death, perforated uterus, passing blood clots, fever / cold sweats, intense pain, loss of appetite, vomiting, and gastro-intestinal disturbances.
- Socially a female may face criticism and ostracism from others. Some persons hold strong views against abortion and they may say or suggest things to make a woman feel like she has done something wrong. As a result of this she will need the love and support of family and friends.
Having an abortion is a very serious life decision. If you are pregnant and thinking of having an abortion and need someone to talk to before you make your final decision, or if you have had an abortion and need someone to talk to for support, call ChildLine at 800-4321 or 131. We Care. We hear your call.