It’s normal to feel disappointed when you haven’t accomplished a goal that you set out for yourself. We all have expectations of ourselves, but sometimes we fall short of them. So, what should we do when the disappointment that we feel makes us want to give up? Here are some ways in which you can deal with disappointment in yourself:
Understand That You Are Human
- Human beings are not perfect. Nevertheless, we try to make ‘perfect’ plans without realizing that we aren’t ‘perfect’ people. Practice being flexible and accept that life does not always go as planned!
Understand Where You Fell Short
- Take some time to think about what has made you feel disappointed in yourself. If it was not meeting a specific goal; then constructively think about how you could have done things differently. This way, you can identify your weaknesses and areas for improvement.
Set Realistic Expectations and Goals
- Now that you have understood where you fell short, try to set more realistic expectations and goals for yourself. Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day, as a result, set goals that are manageable, smart and aligned with your available resources.
Do Not Give up
- Don’t let your disappointment eat you up inside. Remember, it doesn’t matter if you fall, what matters is if you get back up!
- This may not be your first time experiencing disappointment in yourself. But, by following the advice above, you may be able to see that your chance to begin again is not too far away. Forgive yourself and try again after learning from your mistakes.
If you are struggling with disappointment in yourself and would like additional support, contact ChildLine at 131 or 800-4321.